Monday, October 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Avery!!

Today is Avery's 3rd birthday!! I can't believe it! Time has gone by so fast and she is such a big girl now! She really enjoyed her party Saturday. Hopefully I will be able to post pictures soon.



Three years ago today (at this time of the morning) I was about to be heading to the doctor where I would find out that it was THE DAY!!! I had been to the hospital the night before because I had started having contractions that were pretty close together, but had been sent home after they checked me and I wasn't dilated at all. I remember it was about midnight but we stopped at Subway because I was SO hungry!! I slept pretty good that night other than some discomfort from the contractions. The next day my doctor called me (he found out that I had been to L&D the night before). He wanted me to come in so he could check me. I got there around 11 and I was very surprised when he told me I was dilated to a 3!! (Up until that point I was wondering if I was ever going to dilate) He sent me over to the hospital and by the time I got changed and hooked up to all the various monitors it was about 12. I don't know how long it was before they gave me Statol (a medicine to help with the pain), but I do remember that the only thing it did was make me laugh.....and I don't just mean giggle....I was laughing so hard I couldn't even talk....and that, of course, made everyone in the room laugh. I could not stop laughing at all!! It didn't help at all with the pain though, but I was too busy laughing to worry about it. After the laughter subsided, they checked me and I was around a 5 or 6.....I decided to go ahead and get the epidural. I was afraid it would slow down the process, ( I had heard that it could) but, I was also afraid that if I didn't go ahead and get it I would end up in one of those situations where I was ready for it and then I would be told.....nope, it's too late. I felt so much better after the epidural! I think it was around 7:30 when I was ready to start pushing. It seemed like 3 days that I pushed and nothing was really happening. It was about 1 hr and 1/2 to 2 hours. For some reason I had developed a fever (we never did figure out why). Everything seemed to be becoming an emergency-like situation. My doctor mentioned going to the c-section room and then if things didn't happen soon, he would do a c-section. I remember by that point I was like, "That's fine! Just get her out!!" I wanted her to be okay!! When we got moved into the other room I was feeling like I needed to push and they were saying "go ahead".....so, I had pushed a couple of times before they realized that she was coming!! When she was born I remember the doctor laying her on me and I touched her and thought....."Oh my goodness, this is really happening!!" I remember how strange it was to hear her cry.....not weird strange....just unreal. Since she had a few issues they took her away immediately to make sure she was ok. The umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck, so she was not the right color. Because of the stress, she had pooped before she was born so, they had to make sure she hadn't breathed any of that meconium in. They thought her hip was out of place, and because I had a fever she did too. Anyway, I remember all of those things were really making me nervous!! I remember asking one of the nurses that was in there how much she weighed and she had to call the nursery to find out. She weighed 8lbs. 11oz. and she was 20 inches long.

They finally brought her to me about 4 hours after she was born. I can remember how crazy it was that the nurse was just handing her to me.....what was I going to do with this helpless newborn?? It is funny how to this day, I am really nervous to hold someone else's newborn baby (I still feel like I might need to sit down and someone hand them to me!! ha ha), but for some reason I didn't feel that way with my own. All of the things that were going on when she was born turned out to be nothing really! She did have an iv for a couple of days and we stayed an extra day in the hospital, but that was no big deal!

We came home and she has been calling the shots ever since!! (well, at least until Raegan got old enough to share in that responsibility!!) Avery has always been very independent when it comes to just about anything. She is so funny and I can already see that she is going to have a great sense of humor! She does still have moments when she thinks the world revolves around her and she can get really upset when things don't go her way. She is VERY strong willed. (I don't know where she got that from....) Since it is my baby girl's birthday I want to share some things about her:

She LOVES....absolutely LOVES to cook.....really cook or just pretend
it doesn't matter which.

She really likes to sing and make up her own songs.

Books are a MUST for her...she will spend hours flipping through the
pages of a book! It doesn't matter if there are pictures in it or not!

She loves magazines the same way, but has to pull all of those cards
out (you know, the ones you send in for another subscription)

She calls me Mommy, Momma, and Mom.

She loves her daddy!

She likes dogs and cats and really any other kind of animal.....but she
gets nervous if you get her too close to one that is big.

It takes her a while to warm up to people that she doesn't know, but
once she is warmed up she will talk their ears off!!

She has always played with her hair when she is sleepy.

She loves to dig in the dirt, but she loves to get cleaned up afterward!

She hates to get food on her clothes. She had to change immediately
if this ever happens.

She loves to talk on the phone as long as it is on her toy phone...every
now and then she will really talk to someone on the real phone.

She tells me she loves me and hugs me more times than I can count
each day.

She is a GREAT big sister and has been since the day Raegan was
born.

She loves babies and says she wants another baby sister.

She shows me the world through her eyes.

She teaches me something new every day.

......I am so thankful that God chose me to be her mommy!!

No comments:


We are the Kays!

Baby #3

pregnancy