Monday, April 21, 2008

Beans and greens, baby gates, and the color purple!!

It has been a couple of days since my last post, so I have a few things to blog about!! First of all last night at church I was asked if Matthew and I eat beans and greens every night for dinner or you know, a big homemade meal with fresh veggies and homemade cornbread every night. I hated to unveil the truth.....but, we do not.....the truth is that when Matthew and I got married I didn't really know how to cook much at all. He did!! He started teaching me and I am still learning! I would like to get to the point where every night we have a home made meal that consisted of meat and vegetables that we grew ourselves, but that day hasn't arrived yet. It is a goal of ours, and we are working toward it!!

My second story has to do with our baby gates at home......you know, the ones that they make to keep babies and young children out of places they don't need to be....yeah, those are the ones...I always keep one in the doorway to the kitchen and one in the doorway of our bedroom. I also keep the door to the bathroom closed. This only leaves the living room, dining room, hallway, and their bedroom for Avery and Raegan to have full access to. Well, this morning I heard something rattling and I looked in the hallway and Avery had taken down the gate in our bedroom doorway. I put it back and told her to leave it alone. ( I figured I didn't have it wedged tight enough and that she might have just pulled on it to get it out) A few minutes later I went into our bedroom and both girls followed me (they always do that and then stand there and wait on me to come out). This time Avery just reached right over and pulled the thing that releases the gate and moved it and proceeded to tell me, "This gate was in Radey's way", and then they walked right in. I told her those are supposed to be in their way. I don't know what I am going to do now....I guess I will have to buy the really tall gates.

My final story for now is about Avery and her love of the color purple.....right before Easter, Matthew brought home some baby ducks and chickens that they sell at the co-op. They were dyed all different colors for Easter and Avery LOVED them! She loves anything that is purple and she quickly showed favor to the little purple chicken. She started telling me that the purple one was her "best wind" (translated to "best friend" for those not fluent in Avery-ese). I thought that was sooo precious, because that was the first time she had ever called anything her best friend. Anyway, since then she has called other purple things her "best wind", like a little purple fuzzy ball that we were using to do a craft.... so, I started thinking that maybe she doesn't know how to say "that is my favorite color", so, she just says things are her best friend. I think it is really sweet though, and this morning my mother told me that Crayola is renaming some of the colors in the box of 64 crayons and that the orchid one (or one of the purple ones) is now called "best friends"!! I thought that was really neat! I will have to be sure to get a box for Avery!! I wonder which one will be her favorite....or her "best wind"?? haha!!

I hope everyone has a great day!!
~Donna K

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm glad you are not a stalker!!!
I talked to Sue... I dont know why she cant leave comments..

Lisa


We are the Kays!

Baby #3

pregnancy