Saturday, November 8, 2008

This is what has been happening in the last several days of my life...........

Well.......the past week has been CRAZY to say the least! Monday I had to go to the doctor b/c I was having pretty bad back pain along with some other symptoms that aren't particularly good during pregnancy. Anyway, when they did the sonogram they didn't find a baby......that would have been fine considering I was only 4 wks and 6 days, but they did find a "sac" that was measuring 8 wks and 5 days. (at that time you should see an amniotic sac, a baby, and even a heartbeat...I know that there are exceptions, but normally by that time you would see something in the amniotic sac) This was really confusing me, because I knew I wasn't that far along. (I had been to the doctor for my regular check-up on Sept. 30th and they did a pregnancy test and it was negative.) So, the doctor told me that he was diagnosing this pregnancy as "abnormal" and that it may not make it. I was preparing myself for the worst. I had decided that I just wanted it over with. (He did tell me that best case there was a baby and things would be ok.....I was cautiously holding on to that hope, but in the back of my mind I couldn't help but feel that this was over). He sent me over for blood work to check the level of hcg, the pregnancy hormone that in normal pregnancies doubles about every 48 hrs. (in early pregnancy). I was to come back Wed. for more blood work. Monday night I went home and warded off any pregnancy symptoms!! I didn't want to think about the fact that I was still pregnant and I certainly didn't need anything reminding me that I was! I was just waiting.....I didn't know what symptom of a miscarriage would start first........so, I just waited. I was praying that I could make it through to Wed. when I would have the second set of labs. I thought if we could get the results and see that there was no hope they could go ahead and do the d&c ( procedure that removes the products of conception....sometimes, not all, after a miscarriage a d&c is performed to make sure an infection doesn't develop, sorry, I am trying to not be too graphic and still explain) so I could get all of this behind me!!

I went in Wed. just trying to get through it. I knew I had to wait for the results, but I just wanted to get there as early as possible and get the results back as soon as possible, that way I could see when I needed to be there for the d&c. I got a call Wed. afternoon that I never would have expected in a million years! I heard the words..."according to the blood work, the baby is FINE"......I couldn't even wrap my mind around those words because for the last 2 days I had thought this pregnancy was almost over. They wanted me to come in Friday for another sonogram. I didn't really know where to let my mind go! After all, I had seen the sonogram and I knew it didn't look like what you see on a normal sonogram, I heard the doctors voice just 2 days before and what he was saying. I couldn't imagine that everything was fine........The doctor told me on the phone that he didn't think what we saw on the sonogram was the amniotic sac and by my blood work I was not as far along as 8 wks and 5 days. This made me feel better, he said by Friday we may be able to see more.

Yesterday I had to be there at 8 am. When the sonogram started I saw that little black spot on the screen......the one you are suppose to see!! It was measuring a mere 4 wks and 4 days (about 6 days earlier than we thought). Sonograms can be off a few days and I could just not be as far along as I thought. (That would explain the VERY light positive results I got on the pregnancy tests) We didn't see anything in the sac, but that is normal for that early. My doctor said he is VERY reassured with that and he said we didn't need to do anymore blood work because he felt everything is fine. I go back on Nov. 26th for my regular "first" prenatal visit and another sonogram. By then we should be able to see even more!!

As for what they found on the first sonogram......it was a blood clot. (That may sound bad, but I had one with both of my other pregnancies!!) It could reabsorb (that is what happened when I was pregnant with Avery) or I could experience some bleeding during the pregnancy (that is what happened when I was pregnant with Raegan). That is what the doctor thinks is causing the back pain. I know that , as with any pregnancy, something could still happen!! I am trusting God that whatever happens He will get us through it! Please keep us in your prayers! After all this I'm emotionally drained! I think I have felt every emotion there is in such a short time! I am naturally a worrier, (it is something I am constantly battling with) please pray that I will give this pregnancy TOTALLY to God and have peace with whatever comes!

This has been a rough start!! I am gradually getting back to the excitement of being pregnant.....just cautiously! I want to thank all of you who knew about this and prayed for us!! Some of you truly went ABOVE and BEYOND!! That really means so much! God is good ALL the time and I just can't thank Him enough for all of the people I have in my life that care about me and my family!

4 comments:

Stacey said...

wow, thanks for sharing. that sounds very scary. i am glad everything is ok with the baby. will definitely keep you and your little peanut in my prayers! keep us posted....

Lisa said...

Praise the Lord.

The Kay Family said...

Donna, I am here and listening. Praying for you and this little one growing inside you. Asking God to protect the little one He created. So glad to hear that all is well. Praying that you will just let go and let God take care of you and your growing family!

Love you!

LeighAnne said...

Praise the Lord and Congratulations. I didn't even know you were expecting! :) Just think, we might get to be pregnant together! :) How sweet would that be. Congratulations again and I am so relieved that everything is ok. :) Hugs,LA


We are the Kays!

Baby #3

pregnancy